FAST Act Reference Page
March 08, 2016 | ENO CENTER FOR TRANSPORTATION
(This only covers information about the law itself and actions taken after its enactment on December 4, 2015. All information about the process by which the FAST Act was enacted into law is on our FAST Act Legislative History webpage.)
Text of the Law, and Explanatory Material
- Text of Public Law 114-94, the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act (slip law format with the page numbers that will appear in the Statutes at Large). (December 4, 2016)
- Table of funding levels authorized by the FAST Act.
- AASHTO detailed summary of the FAST Act.
- USDOT Office of the Secretary FAST Act summary webpage.
- FHWA presentation on major FAST Act highway programs.
- FHWA fact sheets on FAST Act highway, bridge and freight programs.
- FHWA projections of year-by-year FAST Act highway formula funding, by state (PDF or Excel format)
- FTA presentation on FAST Act changes to mass transit programs.
- FTA fact sheets on FAST Act mass transit programs.
- FTA projections of year-by-year FAST Act mass transit formula funding, by program.
All FAST Act funding apportionment notices, allocation announcements or grant awards, and notices of funding availability for grant programs, by fiscal year.
Other FAST Act Implementation, in Reverse Chronological Order, by Modal Administration
Office of the Secretary
- Request for Information on how USDOT should develop the 5-year strategic plan for transportation Research, Development and Technology (RD&T) pursuant to section 6019 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, March 30, 2016)
- Notice of Establishment of Port Performance Freight Statistics Working Group and solicitation of nominations for membership, per section 6018 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, February 23, 2016)
Federal Highway Administration
- Final rule to amend metropolitan, nonmetropolitan and statewide planning regulations pursuant to MAP-21 and the FAST Act. (Co-promulgated with FTA). (Federal Register, May 27, 2016)
- Notice of intent to establish the Tribal Transportation Self Governance Program Negotiated Rulemaking Committee pursuant to section 1121 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, April 25, 2016)
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking implementing the National Performance Management Measures for the National Highway Performance Program, the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program, and national freight movement as required by section 1203 of MAP-21 but slightly amended by the FAST Act. (Federal Register, April 22, 2016)
- Final rule implementing National Performance Management Measures for the Highway Safety Improvement Program as required by section 1203 of MAP-21 but slightly amended by the FAST Act. (Federal Register, March 15, 2016)
- Highway Safety Improvement Program regulatory changes required by MAP-21 but slightly modified by provisions in the FAST Act (Federal Register, March 15, 2016)
Federal Transit Administration
- Final rule to amend metropolitan, nonmetropolitan and statewide planning regulations pursuant to MAP-21 and the FAST Act. (Co-promulgated with FHWA). (Federal Register, May 27, 2016)
- Buy America – Proposed policy statement and proposed public interest waiver criteria for the new domestic content rules pursuant to section 3011 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, April 6, 2016.)
- Announcement of proposed changes to FTA Circular, 5010.1E, “Award Management Requirements,” to conform to changes from the FAST Act and other laws. (Federal Register, February 29, 2016)
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking setting requirements for Public Transportation Safety Plans as required by section 20021 of MAP-21 and not repealed by the FAST Act. (Federal Register, February 5, 2016)
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Explanation of the new definition of “High Risk Motor Carriers” and related procedural changes mandated by section 5305(a) of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, March 7, 2016)
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking amending the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) to revise the current methodology for issuance of a safety fitness determination (SFD) for motor carriers. This NPRM was in the works before the FAST Act but specifically ignores section 5202 of the FAST Act (which required an advance NPRM before an NPRM was published) because FMCSA says a ANPRM would not be in the public interest. (Federal Register, January 21, 2016)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Certification notice of effective date of higher automaker penalties pursuant to section 24410(a) of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, March 22, 2016)
- Final rule on civil penalty factors for automakers pursuant to section 31203 of MAP-21 and section 24110 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, March 1, 2016)
- Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on means of notifying auto owners of recalls, other than by first class mail, pursuant to section 24104 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, January 25, 2016)
Federal Railroad Administration
- Notice of Request for Proposals for Implementing a High-Speed Rail Corridor pursuant to section 11308 of the FAST Act. (The notice clarifies that “no Federal funding is associated with this provision.”) (Federal Register, March 16, 2016)
- Final Positive Train Control Rule incorporating changes in law made through the FAST Act. (Federal Register, February 29, 2016)
- Notice increasing the maximum civil liability award for a passenger railroad accident from $200 million to $294 million, pursuant to section 11415 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, January 11, 2016)
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
- Withdrawal of the proposed rule on Safety Requirements for External Product Piping on Cargo Tanks Transporting Flammable Liquids – withdrawn pursuant to section 7206 of the FAST Act. (Federal Register, December 30, 2015)