The EnoMAX (Multi-Agency Exchange) Program is a collaborative leadership development, inter-agency networking and best-practice sharing program between public transportation operators and the Eno Center for Transportation. Founded in 2012, the MAX Program has brought together over 250 professionals from the Regional Transportation District of Denver, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, the Dallas Area Rapid Transit Authority, Valley Metro (Phoenix) and Sound Transit (Seattle). In 2016, the Eno Center for Transportation partnered with these agencies to form the EnoMAX Program.
Eno and participating properties are looking to incrementally expand the program to include additional transit agencies starting in 2019.
Each year, three to four similar agencies are grouped together to form an EnoMAX program. Each agency strategically selects 8 high potential and high performance people to participate in the program using their own internal process. These are typically front-line to mid-level managers from all organizational disciplines (operations, finance, planning, administration, engineering, etc.) many of whom have gone through internal management development and training programs. Select hourly or represented employees might also participate in the program. This cohort of students then visits each agency in their group during the year. Three days of Eno’s highly-regarded leadership skill instruction is built into the course.
Each agency also assigns an individual, typically from their Talent Development/HR office, to act as their agency “facilitator”; this person–along with a dedicated Eno field staff member–works to run the program.
While on site at each agency, key activities include:
- Classroom sessions on a wide-range of topics with host agency senior staff
- Field trips to observe work sites, projects, facilities, and the system firsthand
- Meeting with professionals who can assist them in solving a business problem identified by their own agency
- Instruction in leadership skills
- Guest lectures from leading industry practitioners
- Hearing from and talking with the agency CEOs
- Networking opportunities with classmates, alumni and senior agency executives
- At the conclusion of the class, they have the opportunity to participate in the Eno alumni program
The EnoMAX Program is designed to provide benefits for both the participating agencies and the program attendees.
For the agencies, the goals are to:
- Develop and retain future leaders, drawing from first-level supervisor ranks
- Improve staff performance
- Improve their big picture transit perspective
- Share best practices and foster innovation
- Solve high priority agency defined business problems
For the attendees, the goals are to:
- Improve their technical knowledge and performance
- Develop a peer-network for collaboration
- Better understand their agency as it relates to the overall transit industry
- Improve their career skills, including leadership capability
- Provide the tools to advance in their career
The program has been successful in achieving these objectives and is highly regarded by agency CEOs, agency senior staff and the participants.
Organizations that join MAX will enter into a written agreement with Eno. This can be either a membership or a contract. Agencies are encouraged to commit to at least 2 years of participation, but this will not be required in the written agreement.
The costs to participate in EnoMAX are shown in the table below. A payment to Eno is required, and comes with several benefits shown in Membership Benefits section. Payments to Eno are the only outgoing costs. All other costs are internal to the agency.
|Five Day||Three Day|
|Estimated internal hard costs/yr||$55,000||$40,000|
|Total cost for year 1||$119,500||$84,500|
|Total cost for subsequent years||$84,500||$59,500|
A 4-page summary of EnoMAX can be downloaded here.
Other Program Commitments
- Staff time of MAX participants (one facilitator, eight staff and selected hourly or represented employees) for 4 weeks
- Commitment of facilitator time throughout the year; typically this requires a quarter to half of an FTE, although this is concentrated around the host week
- Commitment of a small amount of CEO and senior staff time (3-5 hours) during host week, once per year
- Agency staff to assist during host week including production of class materials, leading tours, speaking to the class, and meeting with students
MAX students complete an individual business project during the year. Many projects have been implemented, including some that have resulted in substantial cost savings or operational efficiencies. This document gives short vignettes of successful student projects.
Eno has developed a handbook to help agencies onboard to the program. View the handbook table of contents.
Created with flickr slideshow.
Eno Membership Benefits
- On boarding of agency staff tasked with being new agency facilitators
- Assistance planning the first visit of the EnoMAX program
- A handbook to guide agency facilitators, and other
- A dedicated Eno facilitator who attends all courses and convenes planning sessions
- Agenda planning and coordination
- A communications suite to facilitate meetings, along with a class website
- Evaluations of each class and the overall program
- Development and delivery of social events and course graduation
- Delivery of three days of Eno’s well-known leadership skills curriculum
- An ongoing EnoMAX alumni program
- One tuition waiver to Eno’s Transit Mid-Manager Seminar (a $3,750 value)
- Five complimentary subscriptions to Eno Transportation Weekly (a $2,500 value)
- Participation in Eno membership events and webinars
If you or your public operated transit organization would like to be considered for future EnoMax programs, or if you have any questions about the EnoMAX Program, please contact Karen Price, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Alex Bond, email@example.com.
Upcoming Course Dates
An agency can participate in EnoMAX by purchasing a membership in the Eno Center for Transportation.